Monday, April 02, 2007

Stewed Vegan Maki

I was given this recipe in college, roughly in late 1998. My friend who was teaching me to make sushi, and taught me this. I liked it as an appetizer to help introduce Japanese flavors to those who were not used to them. I've found success with it also as a type of sushi that those who are vegan, anti-seafood, or just squeamish will eat. It's non traditional - but very good. Please enjoy.

Ingredients

1/4 cup (60ml) Fine Shredded Carrot
1/4 cup (60ml) Thin Julienned Onion
1/4 cup (60ml) Fine Diced Celery
1/4 cup (60ml) Thin Julienned Daikon
2 tablespoons Miso
2 oz (55g) Sake
1/2 cup (120ml) water
1/2 teaspoon Rice Vinegar
1/2 teaspoon Wasabi
1 1/2 cups (360ml) Sushi Rice
2 Nori


Instructions

In a wok or saucepan (I suggest a saucepan, personally) combine vegetables and sake. Bring to a simmer and let cook until most of the sake is gone, stirring often.

Now add the water and miso, bring this to a simmer, and let it cook until the vegetables are soft (but not mushy) stirring often.

Next remove the vegetables from the pan and reduce the remaining liquid to a thick sauce consistency.

Pour the 'sauce' over the vegetables and mix thoroughly.

Let cool.

Mix in vinegar.

Evenly spread rice over nori, dab half the wasabi across each, then place the vegetable mix across this.

Roll tightly. Should serve 3-4.

Source : Wiki.

1 comment:

VeggedOut said...

Nice! You don't see many vegan rolls, this looks tasty!

Please feel free to come by and check out my vegetarian recipes!

Cheers!